Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Introduction and Whatnot

Before I begin, I wanted to give you a short explanation of what this blog is and what I hope to accomplish with it. I work from home. When I'm working, and usually even when I'm not, I listen to music constantly. It is one of the few things in this world that I absolutely, positively couldn't live without. I hear and see and feel music 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. In my opinion, it is truly the only universal language. Unfortunately, despite this deep passion that I have for it, I suffer from a complete and total lack of musical ability. With that I mind, I started to think about what I could do so that I felt more engaged with the music. This thought has become Jimah's Music Experiment.

The Experiment goes like this: every week I am going to pick one artist and each day I am going to listen to and write about one of their albums. I will not be listening to live albums nor will I be listening to b-sides unless they have been released in proper album form (e.g. Pearl Jam's Lost Dogs or Morphine's B-Sides and Otherwise). Of course, there are also exceptions to the live album stipulation, especially in a case where the live album is an important part of their discography (e.g. The Who's Live at Leeds or Talking Heads' Stop Making Sense) or in the case where an artist's discography is relatively small and not including a live album would reduce the listening time too much (e.g. Jeff Buckley's Live at Sin-é or Nirvana's MTV Unplugged in New York) After listening to each album, I will blog my impressions on it. Of course, every post can be commented on and I hope to generate some conversations about these artists and what they mean to us individually.

And no, this is not going to turn into something where I only listen to my favorite bands and then swoon about them. While I'm sure that I'll be listening to some of those artists, it won't be all the time and besides, no band is good all the time. I fully intend to take this opportunity to explore other genres and artists that I wouldn't normally listen to.

I am hoping to be able to blog once a day but it may not always happen like that. Here's to hoping that this goes well.

No comments:

Post a Comment